November 4, 2021 - Don't Worry, Be Happy and Other Mental Health Hacks. 7 PM in the Lamb & Scroll Dining Hall.
November 4, 2021 - "
Mental Health Hacks for the Holidays
7 PM in the Lamb & Scroll Dining Hall. How does your brain work? Does knowing that describe your mind? Does Scripture have any comments on mental health? If so, do those jive with our cultures solutions (ie self care, brain chemistry)? Who should be concerned about their mental health? All of these questions and more. (Don't worry, you can be happy that you won't be called on to testify to your own ;). Come for the koinonia and discussion, we hope you leave with a blessing. To express interest, EMAIL US.
Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.
Formerly known as the Science and Faith Dialogues, the Hall of Reason meets for three Thursdays evenings in the fall and spring academic year. Janet Siefert, PhD, presents a synopsis covering that week's science topic, moderating the discussions and questions. The time is from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm in the dining hall.
This is a free lecture designed to provide good science direction while allowing the participants to ask the questions that they might have not felt comfortable asking or have not had the opportunity to ask. It is an exploration into science, but also seeks to recognize the spiritual needs that are part of the human condition. It is non-denominational, but there is a focus on the answers that Christians can count on from Scripture. There is no intent to convince either from the science or faith platforms, but a desire to have a meaningful conversation. It is for all levels of education, appropriate for 18-year-olds and up, and welcome to believers, searchers, and non-believers.
Janet has her doctorate in Biology and is an Associate Research Professor in the Department of Statistics at Rice University. She has a Wikipedia page, although she truly hates Wikipedia and is willing to talk to you about it over coffee. She has most recently accepted a position at the Lanier Theological Library as Director of Communications, which she believes is further proof that God is not done with her yet.
2021 - 2022 Calendar
For general interest in the Hall of Reason and to get our newsletter which includes information on this and other events in the month they are happening, which include instructions on how to participate, please make sure you have signed up HERE.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT UNFORESEEN NEGATIVE (eg Weather) or POSITIVE (eg HOSPITALITY) that require time or date changes can happen. It is a good practice to visit and watch the top NEWS Banner on our website the day of for possible changes in an event. We will do our best to inform you of any changes if we have a good contact email and know you are planning on attending. We are eager to have you join us on all our events.
Past Fall 2021 Offering
- September 16, 2021 - COVID Revisited. With the new surge in COVID infection, it's time to take another look at exactly how the virus mutates. We will cover new data and spreading information as well as a refresh of how the vaccines work, who they work for,and why. We will discuss the mental toll that a pandemic takes and how we can respond to it, informed by scripture that includes believers and non believers and our actions towards others. NO need for registration for this one. Come as we have a very SPECIAL SOCIAL TIME planned at 6:30!!! (Come hungry.)
- September 2, 2021 - Space and Faith. Governments and private industry are in a race for lunar colonization, search for life in our solar system and beyond. In the next decade, we will be facing ethical and legal ramifications of our move into space. Does scripture address this exploration? Do we as a global community understand the ramifications? What happens to Christian theology if we find life elsewhere? To express interest, EMAIL US.
Spring 2021 Offerings
- March 9, 2021 - Sin: Is It a Thing or Not? What is the psychology and brain science behind guilt and conscience and the concept of sin? Does Scripture agree? Do you believe in sin? If so, does Scripture do better than science at understanding both the nature of sin and its repercussions? Click HERE to register.
- March 2, 2021 - The Science of Dogs: Reflections on their origins, evolution, their place in Scripture and role in the ancient Near East, Were they always man’s best friend? Click HERE for the powerpoint that was presented.
- February 23, 2021 - The Genetics of COVID 19: How the vaccinations work, discerning good information from bad, a case study, the ethics of vaccinations, What role does fear play for the Christian in understanding an ‘evolving’ pathogen? Click HERE for an mp4 of the powerpoint.