Lecture Listening Guides
by Dr. David Capes
Lecturer: Dr. Katharine Hayhoe
Date: September 28, 2019
Title: “Christians, Climate, and Our Culture in the U.S.”
- What are some of the reasons Christian give for not taking climate change more seriously?
- Why does Hayhoe say that not all scientists are godless, liberal atheists?
- How does Hayhoe respond to the charge that climate change is actually a religion that worships the earth?
- What does Hayhoe mean when she says she does not “believe in” global warming?
- What is the second greatest gift the Lord God has given us?
- Why can science not be in conflict with faith?
- What is the opposite end of the spectrum from those who worship the earth?
- Where does Hayhoe say Christians should be on the spectrum?
- What is the creation care movement?
- What does the ECO image convey?
- What does the EGO image convey?
- What does the THEO image convey ?
- How do we know climate change is happening?
- What is the difference between weather and climate?
- What are some natural explanations for climate change?
- How far back does the science of greenhouse gases go? What gases are responsible for warming the planet?
- Why does Hayhoe say that climate change is not an environmental issue?
- Why does Hayhoe think that pulling the plug on fossil fuels is impractical?
- What are some options to fossil fuel energy?
- What does Hayhoe say are some manifestations locally in climate change?
- How is climate change a people issue?
- What is the most important thing people can/should do?