Lecture Listening Guides
by Dr. David Capes
Dr. Andrew MacIntosh
Lanier Theology Library
Date: April 13, 2019
Title: “Shock and Awe: The Old Testament Prophet Hosea in Recent Research”
- When was Hosea born? When did he die?
- United Israel divided into two kingdoms, northern and southern. How are they referred to in the Scriptures?
- Who were the superpowers of Hosea’s day? Where were they located?
- What is an example of a common noun becoming a proper noun?
- What is syncretism? According to MacIntosh there are three kinds. What are they? What is a good example? What is a bad?
- Who was Baal? What was he (supposedly) good at? Who was his “wife”/consort?
- What is the Baal myth? How did we learn about it?
- What audacious thing did God ask Hosea to do? Why?
- What is sympathetic magic? MacIntosh links the idea of sympathetic magic with modern _______________.
- What was Hosea’s greatest achievement?
- What are the names of Hosea’s children? What did those name signify?
- What is the name of Hosea’s wife? What did she do to betray Hosea?
- What does MacIntosh say the word Hayah means and how does it relate to the divine name?
- What is the secret that is going on the book?
- Why does MacIntosh say the prayer of Hosea was not answered?
- What likely happened to Hosea?
- What happened to his writings?
- MacIntosh likens the writings of Hosea with what 20th century figure?
- What is Hosea’s dream?
- YHWH does not have a wife but there is a woman associated with him? Who is it?